Michigan is known for its beer production, but did you know Michigan is also home to 87 cider-makers as well?
Michigan produces more than 900 million pounds of apples each year, making it the perfect supplier for cider-makers. The varieties of apples around the state give each cider a unique flavor. Wherever you live in Michigan, there’s sure to be a local cider-producer nearby.
Next time you want to try a new cider, try these options:
- Gitche Gumee Cider Works is located in the Keweenaw Peninsula and makes cider from almost entirely local produce and resources. Michigan’s abundance of fresh fruit, honey, and syrup give the best supply of ingredients to Gitche Gumee.
- Starcut Ciders uses apples from local orchards and around Michigan. It is a product of Short’s Brewing Company and can be found across the state. These ciders are made from a wide variety of apples as well as other fruits, giving these ciders their one-of-a-kind flavors.
- Virtue Ciders in Fennville makes a variety of ciders and is sure to have something for everyone. From the classic Virtue Apple Hard Cider to Virtue Cider Rose, Virtue Ciders offers a mix of both classic and modern drinks.
- Blake’s Cider Mill in Armada uses its own apple orchard to produce year-round, seasonal and limited edition hard ciders. Blake’s also has traditional apple cider for those who are under 21. Their ciders are shipped and sold around the state, so you don’t have to live on the east side to get a taste of their ciders.
- Meckley’s Cidery mixes apple cider with other fruit as well, such as blueberries, cherries and lemons, just to name a few. These ciders taste great on their own or mixed with other spices so you can make your drink extraordinary.
Whether you’re a hard cider enthusiast, or are looking for a new drink to try, Michigan cider-producers are sure to offer exceptional drinks, made from local resources.
What’s your favorite Michigan hard cider?
You may also like:
- Down the Line: How Apples Make it From the Farm to You
- Meet Our Favorite Michigan Apples
- Hop Happening: 12 Places to Celebrate the Great Beer State in West/SW Michigan
Photo Credit: Pexels