What’s not to love about a coffee shop? It’s a great atmosphere filled with music, people and of course, coffee. Whether it’s a cold brew or steaming latte, each beverage adds to the unique experience. Have you found your favorite spot?
If not, check out this simple guide to Michigan’s best coffee shops:
- Plymouth Coffee Bean Company – Located in Plymouth, this is the longest running independent coffee shop in Michigan. They offer a variety of coffees and teas, as well as sandwiches and delicious crepes paired with live music and local art.
- New Order Coffee Roasters – New Order in Detroit offers a wide range of drinks and eats, from cereal lattes to peanut butter and jelly cookies. Their goal is “to delight and energize your everyday life” in a vibrant and friendly setting.
- Atomic Coffee – This Royal Oak coffee shop’s specialty beverages are a cardamom-rose latte and delicious nitro cold brews. Their drinks definitely live up to the company name.
- Populace Coffee – Detroit, Petoskey and Bay City residents can get their caffeine fix at a local Populace. They’re known for high-quality coffee and baked goods like hand pies and donuts.
- Blue Owl Coffee – Located on Michigan State University’s campus, this coffee shop’s atmosphere is great for studying, meeting new people or enjoying a live band on occasion.
- Strange Matter Coffee & Bakery – At Strange Matter in Lansing, coffee and doughnuts are the perfect match. Try one of their signature drinks while enjoying a homemade pastry like the strawberry rhubarb crunch.
- Chapelure – This decadent coffee shop and bakery is full of unique beverages and sweet treats. Some favorites include the white raspberry truffle mocha, jamando croissant and tiramisu.
- Coffee Barrel – In Holt, you can find this charming coffee shop that delivers unforgettable drinks. Try their peanut butter mocha, red velvet frappe or the classic Americano.
- Outdoor Coffee Co. – Located in East Grand Rapids, customers can sit outdoors in a geodome while enjoying coffee made in a refurbished camper. They can also walk through the garden or relax in a nearby hammock.
- Wild Roast Coffee Co. – Grandville is home to this warm and cozy coffee shop. Aside from its one-of-a-kind espresso, Wild Roast has a vintage vibe that keeps customers coming back for more.
- Lemonjellos Coffee – If you’re in Holland, stop by Lemonjellos and refuel with coffee, baked treats or a variety of market goods. The bright, fun environment makes it the perfect place to gather with friends.
- Madcap Coffee Company – With locations in both Grand Rapids and Detroit, Madcap Coffee Company is worth a visit. They offer some of Michigan’s best drinks such as the Grandma Rose latte with espresso, pistachio, rose and honey.
- Contrast Coffee Co. – Contrast Coffee’s creative menu is a stand-out among its peers. Check out their cool summer latte, which consists of blueberry, orange and oat milk. For your convenience, they have multiple locations including Marquette, Iron Mountain and Ironwood.
- Penny’s Kitchen – Located in Sault Sainte Marie, this coffee shop makes visitors feel right at home. The friendly and talented staff can prepare a range of items from traditional beverages to full food entrées.
- Mundos Roasting & Co. – Mundos offers cold brew, espresso and several distinct bean blends. You can find one of their spacious shops in either Traverse City or Suttons Bay.
- Cyberia Cafe – There’s a reason Cyberia is the oldest coffeehouse in the Upper Peninsula. It’s a quaint space filled with baked goods, hot coffee and great conversation. If you’re ever in Houghton, be sure to stop by for a sip.
What is your favorite local coffee shop? Leave us a comment below!
Looking for more on coffee? Check out these posts:
- Slim Down Your Coffee Order
- How Coffee Helps Me Stay Energized, Motivated and Healthy
- 4 Strange Ways to Perk Up Your Coffee